Thursday, April 8, 2010

The calls.


My phone rang three times today, while I was napping, from a number I did not readily recognize.
The first time, I hit the
talk button and then hung up, so that the ringing wouldn't wake up my father.
The second time I picked up, I whispered a "Hello?"
I was asked whether to accept a collect call from someone whose name was poorly recorded I couldn't make out what I had just heard, and told that the call was coming from a prison. I hung up.
The third time, I was ready, hoping that this time I would be able to make out the name of the person. I couldn't. Still, I stayed on the line until the call was disconnected from the other end.


I turned over and waited to for sleep to come, only capable of wondering what poor soul I had just hung up on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, Reader? Spill your thoughts. Stay a while ★